Fraudsters are apparently calling UK residents pretending to represent TalkTalk.
The fraudsters, (who appear to be based in call centres in the Far East), are known to make a number of false claims, including:
- there is a problem with your Internet reception
- there is a problem with your router
- a file downloaded on to your computer needs to be 'cleaned'
- there is a virus on your computer that needs removing
- you are experiencing 'technical issues'
They then ask you a series of questions before requesting you to carry out a number of tasks on your computer. These tasks are designed to provide them with remote access to your computer. They can then steal personal and financial information, including usernames and passwords.
They can be quite persuasive and sometimes aggressive on the phone.
Always put the phone down. Never provide remote computer access to any cold caller.
If you've been affected by this scam, report it to Action Fraud by clicking here or calling 0300 123 2040.